Canuck Place Children’s Hospice supports children with life-threatening illnesses through respite for the entire family, pain and symptom care, 24-hour province-wide family support, art, education, music and recreation therapy, bereavement counselling and end-of-life care.
In 2014, Canuck Place turned to Pace Group to take over the organization of its Canuck Place Adventure Race, a multi-sport (kayak, cycling running) challenger event held at Jericho Beach and through the trails of the UBC Pacific Spirit Park in support of the Children’s Hospice.
Pace Group responsibilities included:
- Overall project management and logistics
- Liaising with the City of Vancouver, Vancouver Parks Board and Port Metro Vancouver
- Developing new site plans to improve safety
- Securing suppliers and in-kind partners
- Creating signage and collateral materials, which were distributed throughout Vancouver
- Supporting participant registration
- Developing an event plan, critical path and detailed run of show
- Providing on-site event management, including managing all suppliers, site set-up, participants and race logistics
Held on September 7, the 2014 Canuck Place Adventure Race attracted 140 general participants, including 40 children, which was a significant increase over the previous year. Most importantly, the event raised $100,000 to support children and families living with life-threatening illnesses.